Saturday, February 1, 2014

Trim HealthyMama 2014 (part 2)

July 2013 was my first post about the weight loss program, Trim Healthy Mama. My intention was to read for a couple weeks and then begin implementing to new eating style in August. I did try out some of the recipes, mainly the drinks GGMS and Shrinker, but never really committed to the plan. I continued reading daily on the Facebook page which has a wealth of information not to mention a plethora of women that are great about answering questions and encouraging even the smallest victories.
The months ticked by and I found myself in December with my mom visiting for Christmas and beyond. Because we live a long way from my family no one had seen me and my "all-time high" weight and I was a little uncomfortable about how much weight I had gained but I knew if anyone would look past my appearance it would be my mom, she has always been the most encouraging and non-critical person in my life. Not long after she arrived I started telling her about THM and showed her my book. She was very interested in trying it and asked several times when we would start it. New Years day was the perfect time to start the plan and there was a THM 6 wk. challenge beginning that day so I joined it, I think that there is one week left in the challenge, I can't believe how fast it's gone!
My mom has been a huge help starting this diet. Every day she has helped prep for meals, cooked meals and bounced around ideas of what to have for each meal. I don't know if I would have had the motivation to start if it wasn't for her encouragement.
The first week of the plan I was still drinking diet soda but for the rest of the month I've been able to stop drinking it. I really don't crave it, I think the GGMS helps feel like I have something to drink that I enjoy and I know it's much better for me than soda. It consists of apple cider vinegar, fresh ginger, lemon and Truvia for sweetener. Most of my family thinks it's horrible but I really like it.
Another interesting thing is that the week I started THM I started my monthly cycle 2 days early which is unusual for me. Now this month my cycle is 3 days late as of today so I'm interested in seeing if it continues to be unpredictable or if it will settle into a pattern. There is a lot of information about how being overweight affects a woman's hormones, fertility and how losing weight releases hormones into your system and causes some changes to your cycle. Often women who are having fertility problems and are over weight are told to lose weight ASAP. I've read stories from women on the Facebook page that say their cycle started back up after being non-existent for years. Amazing stuff!
So, what physical changes have my mom and I experienced this month?
First, my mom. The first week of the diet she dropped weight like crazy! We were shocked how much weight she was losing! 10 days in she had lost 6 pounds! She has been on Weight Watchers most of her adult life and she was on Ideal Protein before I was and she didn't lose weight this quickly with either of those programs. After the first week or so she started going up and down some and has pretty much done that through out the month. We aren't sure why because she and I have eaten almost the exact same foods all month. I have a couple theories as to what it could be. 1. I think she has gluten issues. I have read that going off gluten will give you a large initial lose but will then balance out from there. 2. She has other health issues that could be affecting her weight including some of the medication she takes. 3. She doesn't drink enough water because of problems she has when she drinks a lot of water. At 75 yrs. old losing 6 pounds in a month is still a great accomplishment, she only needs to lose 20-30 pounds at the most.  Plus, she has lost a total of 5 inches from just her waist and hips! Those are the only measurements she's taken so I'm sure it would have been more if she would have taken all of them.
As for me, I've lost about 12 pounds, I haven't been good about measuring so I don't know how many inches but I can tell in my clothes and how my stomach feels that I have lost inches. If I can average 10 pounds a month by my birthday in June I will weigh less than I have in... a long time, maybe high school. That would be the best gift I could give to myself let alone my family!
My plan is to add exercise this month, T-Tap alternating with kettle bells.
That's all for now, hopefully I'll update again March 1st!

No comments:

Post a Comment